News | Events
I hope this message finds everyone well and continuing to cope with our current new normal. We are pleased that many of you have already taken advantage of our soft reopening. Please see below for some of what we accomplished around the Center while you were away. I hope you have a good holiday weekend and Happy Memorial Day.
We will be observing holiday hours on Monday, May 25th, as we have done in the past, of 8 AM to 4 PM. For this specific day, due to shorter hours, there will not be a specific senior period.
Thanks to everyone who helped make this first week smooth, as we navigate through our protocols that have been established for everyone’s safety. We are happy to announce that beginning next week, Monday, May 25th, we will be adding two more activities for you.
A) Personal training is now available again. As before, you will make an appoint with your trainer. These appointments will be on the hour and you will be part of the census of those using the fitness room during that hour. Both you and your trainer will wear face coverings during the session and your trainer will be coaching while maintaining an appropriate six-foot distance.
B) The pool will also reopen Monday, May 25th, and for this first week only, pool activities will include lap swimming and personal water aerobic exercise (not personal training). Please review the following protocols for the pool:
- Please arrive a few minutes just prior to your reserved time. Enter through the front door and please bring you waiver/medical questionnaire with you. We will take your temperature as you check in.
- Reserved time slots are for 55 minutes.
- Lane reservations begin on the half hour (i.e. 1:30-2:25) and must be made within 24-hours of your desired time.
- Please call ahead to reserve your time slot; If you just walk-in, a slot may not be available.
- Use is limited to lap swimming and personal water aerobics activities
- We ask that you come prepared in proper swim attire.
- Cotton clothing is not permitted.
- Pool shoes are mandatory on the pool deck and surrounding area (i.e. showers and throughout the facility)
- Bring your own towel(s). The JCC will not be providing towel service during this period.
- Locker rooms are currently unavailable.
- Handicap/family bathrooms are available.
- Please do your best to clean up/disinfect anything you may have touched (i.e. door knobs, sink knobs, flush handles, railings, etc.) Spray will be provided.
- Prior to entering pool, patrons must rinse thoroughly as before, but this week, using the showers located in the handicap/family bathrooms.
- Pool appropriate footwear is required
- No soaps or shampoo are to be used when rinsing
- A 6-foot distance must be observed at all times.
- The ‘6-Foot Rule’ does not apply to members of the same household
- Please wear a mask throughout the building, but not in the showers or pool.
- Please exit via the pool door, adjacent the parking lot.
During your time away we were able to do quite a bit of spring cleaning and sprucing up.
- We repainted the parking lot lines and added four additional handicapped spaces.
- All of the metal doors and door frames have been repainted
- The wood trim in the front meeting rooms have been repainted, along with the entries to the hallways.
- The floors in the hall leading to the pool, the pool deck and the handicapped/family restrooms have all been pressure washed, brightening the tiles and grout
- All of the locker room showers have been re-grouted, as well as the steam rooms where needed. The locker room floors were also pressure washed.
- Windows and sidewalks were pressure washed
- The gym walls and bench area were cleaned and repainted, including special areas for bouncing balls on the walls during hit classes.
- We replaced the pool pump which is providing for much better water circulation
Additionally, other areas were repainted and we spent many hours in general cleaning and sanitizing. Currently, not only have we provided special gym wipes for you to use on the fitness equipment, our staff is constantly spraying down the equipment with sanitizer for your health and safety. Thank you for being a part of our family and we wish you well.
With warmest regards,
Barry Abels, Executive Director
The day has finally come and we are reopening your JCC this Monday, May 18th. We are extremely glad to invite you back. I hope you have remained well during this time.
Initially we will operate on a limited basis with specific protocols in place to make this opportunity as safe and smooth as possible for all of you. Your health and safety are a main concern.
The protocol sheet explains what practices we are putting in place to maintain proper social distancing and to make it easier to sanitize spaces and equipment. As we gain more experience, we will gradually increase the number of members in the Center at any one time.
For the next several weeks the major change in our practice is that only 18 members will be admitted into the facility at a time. You will need to call one day ahead and reserve a 55-minute time slot. We ask that you only call one day at a time so that all members have the opportunity to use the facility.
All of these specific practices and more are included in the Protocol document that is attached.
You will need to fill out and bring with you a liability waiver and medical questionnaire form. It is also attached. We also have copies here for you to take home and bring back with you on future visits. If you do not bring a filled-out form with you, you can fill one out here, but it will delay you from starting your workout by a few minutes. Based on your answers, we may need to ask you about any recent travel, exposure or your state of health.
We will take your temperature when you scan in, however, if you have a fever, a persistent cough, or symptoms of illness, please schedule your visit for another day.
Some things that will be different while we are in this reopening phase: Our operating hours are modified including setting aside 9 to noon for those 60 and over during the week. Mon – Friday we will open at 6 AM. Monday -Thurs, we will close at 8 PM. Friday we will close at 6PM. Sat -Sun will be normal hours with no senior set aside. This is also included in the protocols.
- Please bring a face covering. A covering needs to worn at all times.
- Please bring your own towel if you use one while working out. Currently we will not provide towels.
- Please bring your own water bottle. Our fruited water will not be available.
- Please bring your membership card. We will still be scanning, but you will keep your card with you.
- Please only bring a minimum of belongings with you. You will need to keep them with you. Lockers are not available.
- If you leave your keys with us, they will go in a special bin and you can retrieve when you leave. We will be spraying them with sanitizer since they will be mixed with other keys.
- The locker rooms will not be available at this time. Please be prepared to shower at home.
- When waiting for your entry time, please remain outside the building or in your vehicle.
- When you have finished your workout, please exit the JCC. (we look forward to socializing in the future)
- Doors to the front and restrooms will be propped open to reduce unnecessary touching of surfaces.
- When using the restroom, you may wish to use the seat covers that are available.
- The facilities available during this time are the main fitness room, the mezzanine fitness area, and the walking track. We ask that only four people are on the track at any one time.
- When wiping off equipment you will be using wipes and maybe sprays that are effective to use for the COVID virus.
As mentioned above, as we move forward, we will assess the allowed number of members in the facility, the variety of activities and available spaces that can be used. We know this is may seem like a lot to ask. All of this is with your health and safety in mind.
Again, we are pleased to have you back at the JCC and please let us help you through this maze as we begin to return to being together in public spaces.
With warmest regards,
Barry Abels, Executive Director